Tuesday 7 August 2012

MRS BEETON'S CLASSIC THICK GINGERBREAD



So, this one's straight from the old school, as this recipe is from Mrs Beeton's Book Of Household Management (1861). She was basically the original Delia with a bit less cheating. Recently I have been doing a bit of experimentation around Victorian methods, as I am organising a charity 3 course dinner for 80 in September based on the traditional recipes of Mrs Beeton. (And yes I may have used a food processor at times to speed up the process and avoid 3 hours of chopping carrots, because after the first time although I basically don't live in the real world, I know that it is probably slightly ridiculous even with five Bob Marley compilation albums). I must confess, I have not entered into the realms of 'hardcore Beeton', which involves boiling a pig's head, veal shins and 'scalding 2 nice calf's feet; to take off the hair; slit them in two and remove the fat from between the claws, to remove every particle of scum as it rises'. I was reliably informed by friends that I am definitely not ready to cope with that level of intensity. So this was my compromise, which doesn't involve stealing and killing animals and various other activities that would probably get me a longer than average stretch in some kind of asylum. It is essentially a traybake, so just get a big tray and chuck it all in. Oh and be warned, you have to be ready to cope with the realms of olden times pudding, which is treacly, dark and thick gingerbread. If you don't think that's quite your scene, in the least patronising way I can put this, go off and make some gingerbread men and... yep, I'm just going to leave it at that. Enjoy the recipe, I have translated it and converted the quantities (on my phone.. shhhh).

Put 340g selfraising flour in a big bowl with 113g soft brown sugar, 28g of ginger, 14g of mixed spice and stir. Melt 113g butter with a small size 454g tin of treacle and add it to the flour mixture. Gently warm 1/4 pint of milk and dissolve a tsp of bicarb in it, then add it to the mixture with 3 whisked eggs. Stir the batter until all combined, then pour it into a buttered tin. I baked mine at 160 degrees for 35 minutes, but it depends how thick you've made it, depending on the size of tin, so just bake it until it is coming away from the sides and a skewer comes out clean, it should just feel shiny and firm when you press it. Brush the top with an egg yolk and pop it back in the oven for a minute to get a shiny top.

* Oh, and just a quick note, it really is best served hot, as soon as you have made it, with vanilla icecream or single cream.

KITCHEN SONG OF THE DAY: BAGGY TROUSERS, MADNESS














No comments:

Post a Comment